Met Marine Services


       

ABOUT US

 

Motor Express Terminals was founded in 1932, providing Terminal Facilities and local cartage services for selected common carriers, manufacturers, and distributors. 

In 1993, Manitoulin Transport and Meyers Transport formed a Joint Venture to purchase Motor Express Terminals from then owners, Charterways.  This new alliance presented each of the three companies with a variety of unique opportunities to offer an even broader spectrum of value added services to their respective clients.

In November 1994, Motor Express Terminals announced the launch of a new division, MET Air & Marine Services, providing agency services at Pearson International Airport to importers, exporters, freight forwarders, and carriers, as well as providing marine container drayage services throughout the Province of Ontario. 

In 1997, the Company name was officially changed from Motor Express Terminals to Motor Express Toronto, to more accurately reflect it's location and service area. 

Today, Motor Express Toronto (M.E.T.) and MET Marine Services operate a fleet of some eighty plus power units, a terminal facility of 138,000 square feet, and 186 truck level doors, all situated on approximately 26 acres within minutes of Highway 401. 

Services include local cartage, consolidation, distribution, contract and dedicated services, F.C.L. Marine Container pickup and delivery service throughout Ontario, computerized dispatch, computerized cardlock and fuel management programs. 

M.E.T. is the pickup and delivery agent in the Greater Toronto Area for eight carriers based at its terminal facility, and we are very proud of the fact that five of these carriers have achieved ISO Certification.  In such an environment, our mandate is to provide a level of QUALITY service unparalleled in our industry, and to do so consistently. 

Since its inception, M.E.T. has adopted a lower profile than many of its competitors in the local cartage market, having traditionally relied on its status as "the Carrier's Choice of Cartage Companies"

 

 

Notable Dates

 

 

1932 - Motor Express Terminals founded, by Messrs. Bell and Thorpe, operating out of a facility located at Jarvis & Church Streets in Toronto.
 
1935 - The company relocates to King and Spadina Streets, behind the Spadina Hotel.
1939 - Motor Express Terminals is sold to Everett Hoar.
1941 - Motor Express Terminals is again sold, this time to E.M. Bennett and Sons, the owners of Listowel Transport.
1954 - Motor Express Terminals is relocated to Martingrove Road, Rexdale.
1955 - The company is again relocated, this time to the Evans and Kipling Avenue area of New Toronto.
1956 - Company owned trucks were replaced by Owner-Operators.
1962 - Motor Express Terminals is sold to A.E. (Al) Kasper.
1967 - Motor Express Terminals is relocated to a new 48 door terminal at 1400 Britannia Road East Mississauga.
1972 - A.E. Kasper purchased the property adjacent to the Britannia Road property, and commenced construction of a new 98 door terminal.
1974 - Motor Express Terminals moved to the new facility at 5920 Dixie Road, Mississauga, a seventeen acre site.
1977 - In May, Charterways purchased Motor Express Terminals, which by this time had been expanded to a 126 door facility, situated on 21.77 acres.
1986 - A North wing addition is built, adding another sixty doors and some 6931 square feet of office space.
1993 - A joint venture of Manitoulin Transport and Meyers Transport is founded to purchase the operations of Motor Express Terminals from Charterways.
1996 - Negotiations are completed by the joint venture to purchase the property. The site is expanded to 22.77 acres.
1997 - The company name is changed to Motor Express Toronto, and the site address is officially changed to 1335 Shawson Drive, to more accurately reflect the only existing, viable access to and from the site.

 

 
Copyright © Motor Express Toronto 2017